U.S. Citizen Services
American Citizen Services - U.S. Consulate General Sapporo
Please call 011-641-1115 for inquiries and appointments
Welcome to the American Citizen Services section of the U.S. Consulate General in Sapporo!
We are here to provide services and assistance to American Citizens living or visiting in Hokkaido, as well as Aomori, Akita, Iwate, and Miyagi prefectures in the Tohoku Region of Japan.
When you arrive in Japan, we encourage you to register with us either by visiting us in Sapporo, or by going online at travelregistration.state.gov. This provides us with timely information to make contact with you or your family in the case of an emergency or natural disaster.
The U.S. Consulate General in Sapporo is also here to provide information and documentation services to American Citizens for such things as:
- Registration of American Citizens
- Marriage eligibility certificates for marriage in Japan
- Reports of Births of U.S. Citizens Overseas
- Passports for U.S. Citizens
- Notaries and signature certifications
- Social Security and other Federal registrations and benefits
- Doctors and Hospitals in Hokkaido and the northern Tohoku regions
- Death of American Citizens Abroad
- Assistance in Cases of Illness or Disaster
- Assistance to Arrested/Incarcerated American Citizens
- Welfare and Whereabouts of American Citizens
- Lawyers and Legal Services listings in Northern Japan
- Federal Tax Forms - General
- Selective Service Registration
- Advice on Travel to or Visas for Other Countries
- Other Services and Information
If you are in need of our services and you are a resident of Hokkaido, or Aomori, Akita, Iwate, and Miyagi prefectures, we encourage you to contact us in Sapporo at 011-641-1115 during our business hours. More detailed information on these available services can be found online here.
If we are not able to assist you, we will try to direct you to the appropriate offices that can.
For detailed information about American Citizen Services available in Japan, please go to the U.S. Embassy Tokyo's Japan-wide website.
Currently, we provide non-immigrant visa interviews only. For inquiries and detailed information on non-immigrant and immigrant visas, please visit the website of the U.S. Embassy Tokyo's visa services.
American Citizen Services
US Consulate General - Sapporo
Call us at 011-641-1115 for inquiries and appointments
Hours for appointments: 9 a.m. - 11:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday (except U.S. and Japanese holidays)
Please click here for our map and directions.